100 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
Smart legislative strategies for successful business outcomes.
John E. Murphy is co-founder of Murphy Donoghue Partners and an attorney specializing in the fields of state and municipal government relations in Massachusetts. Jack possesses more than thirty-five years’ experience in the state government, including fourteen years in the Massachusetts House of Representatives as a state representative from the North shore area of Boston. Since 1985, Jack has maintained an office on Boston’s Beacon Hill where his practice, Issues Management Group, has represented a variety of clients on issues concerning health care, technology, the environment, transportation, construction, manufacturing, financial services, employment and general business matters. He has also represented many non-profit entities pro bono.
From 1971 through 1984, Jack held the positions of Majority Leader, Majority Whip, Chairman of the Committee on Bills in the Third Reading, and member of the Committee on Banks and Banking. He was also a member of the Executive Committee of the Council of State Governments, Eastern Region; was a member of the Executive Committee of the National Conference of State Legislatures; and has held various positions within the Democratic National Committee, including membership on the Platform Committee and Rules Committee.
President of Issues Management Group
President of Murphy, Ryan & O’Keefe Attorneys at Law, Peabody, MA
President of Murphy and Rennick Attorneys at Law, Peabody, MA and Washington, D.C.
Member of Great and General Court, 1971-1984
Chairman, Committee on Bills in the Third Reading
Past Member of Executive Committee of National Conference of State Legislatures
Past Member of Executive Committee of Council of State Governments
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 1968
Providence College, B.A., 1965
Court / bar admissions
Regulatory advocacy & consulting; State and local advocacy; Lobbying / government relations; Political navigation
Construction; Environmental; Healthcare; Technology; Transportation
Massachusetts Bar Association
Essex Bar Association
- supported a major e-commerce company with launch of local office
- represented a licensed professional association for insurance coverage
- represented a major health care organization for creative bond financing
- represented an environmental services/energy company for inclusion in renewable portfolio standard
- successfully represented a major physician group on scope of practice
- represented a major drug manufacturer for insurance coverage
- represented health care entities on payment reform
- steered passage of Massachusetts Gaming Control Statute
- negotiated settlement in lieu of ballot question on teacher evaluation
- convinced private insurers to include orphan drugs in their formulary